0

being a nurse.

Posted by A PRINCESS ON A BUDGET on 9:01 AM in
I just woke up from a 10-and-a-half-hour sleep marathon. While to most people this would seem normal, it is very unlike me to be such a sleep monster. You see, I usually sleep for 5-6 hours max, 3-4 if I could get away with it. I do not like sleeping. Seems to me like it's a waste of time. Most people love to sleep or take naps since it rejuvenates them, lets their minds rest, yada yada yada. Frankly, I just think sleeping is annoying. I would much rather do a bajillion other things than sleep. But since I'll probably end up behaving inappropriately if I don't sleep at all, I usually give in to my body's little bother. But I digress.

The reason I slept so soundly (read: was dead to the world) last night was because yesterday was my first day as a floor nurse. I'll have you know that being a nurse is not a walk in the park. Far from it. I got home from a 12-hour shift, ate dinner, and passed out.

A few high-lights and low-lights of my day:

1) I met one of my preceptors yesterday. I'll call him Focker since well . . . he's a Focker, as anyone who's seen Meet the Parents know. Anyhoo, Focker was awesome! He is one of the most patient and nicest nurses I have ever met. All his colleagues and patients adore him. I'm not exaggerating. I was lucky I was assigned to him. Good role models are hard to come by these days.

2) Focker says it wasn't a good day for orientation because our day yesterday was CA-RA-ZY! Even Focker got a bit flustered and he didn't seem like the type. We had 2 discharges, an admit and a patient who passed away aside from our other regular patients. It may not seem much but in the nursing world, that's a killer day from hell.

3) Like I mentioned, one of our patients passed away. We were told at the start of the shift that he was dying so it wasn't really a surprise, and he'd been sick for a long time. Still, it's very sad when that happens. I've never had a patient die on me before so it was a little disconcerting. I personally think it's amazing how nurses are able to still go about their day after losing a patient. No, we're not hard-hearted. We just need to keep it together for the sake of our other patients. And it really irks me when people tell me I'll get used to it. I won't. Honestly, I'd rather I didn't because "getting used to it" would make me less human.

4) Most nurses work 12-hour shifts. According to California law, anything in excess of 8 hours gives an employee one unpaid 30-minute break and two paid 15-minute breaks. For those not in the know, nurses sign a waiver when they're hired saying they're waiving their two 15-minute breaks so all we get for 12 hours is one break. ONE. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. Maybe whining, but not complaining. Totes different. Nurses have been doing this since forever. I'm just explaining why Focker and I didn't get to eat until 2pm yesterday. I was so hungry, I inhaled my food in 10 minutes. No wonder so many nurses have ulcers. Tsk, tsk.

5) I need new shoes. The Reeboks I used during nursing school won't cut it. They just aren't comfy enough to withstand 12 hours of . . . standing. And running back and forth. And lifting. And running again. And more standing. So yeah, my feet died last night. RIP, dear friends. It was fun while it lasted.

Despite the little setbacks I had on my first day, I still stand by what I've always said. I love being a nurse! I love being a part of people's lives, even for just a little bit. I love being able to help them and support them during their worst times. I love knowing that in my own little way, I'm making a difference. I love being part of a group of people who are nothing short of heroes. Becoming a nurse is the best decision I've ever made.

P.S. I'd like to apologize to one of my patients yesterday for having to poke you a million times so we could start an IV. Good thing Focker was there to save the day, huh? Sorry. Bad joke, I know. You were a good sport.

|

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Musings of a Principessa All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.