0

just me, blowing off steam.

Posted by A PRINCESS ON A BUDGET on 10:38 PM in
My preceptor's a witch. Ok fine, she's not. Not really. Maybe sometimes. Well, yeah, she kinda is. In a passive-aggressive kind of way.

Don't get me wrong. She's a great nurse. She knows everything. I mean everything. Probably because she's been a nurse since the history of forever. Like 20 years or so.

The thing is, because she knows everything, she expects me to know everything too. Which totally sucks balls because it's not fair. For crying out loud, lady, I'm a new freaking nurse! This is my first nursing job, and I've been orienting for 4 freaking days. That means as of right now, I don't know sh*t.

I can't just magically know how to change the inner cannula on a trach. Or how to change the tube feeding for a patient. I don't even know how to give report to the next nurse or how to put in an order for a missing med. I will definitely forget to chart something once in a while. And I will use a red pen when I can't find any other pen to use. I'm not supposed to know that patients on a full liquid diet need not order from the hospital menu because dietary services just sends them a tray. And I sure as hell can't know where to get extra pillows.

So please stop it with the passive aggressiveness. Please don't insinuate that I'm stupid just because I can't handle 2 patients on my own during my 4th (yes, FOURTH) day of orientation when the normal load is 5 patients to 1 nurse. Please don't roll your eyes when I ask you questions on where to find things because despite what you might think, I don't have free time to go around the unit to check where everything is. I'm too busy taking care of my patients. Please don't make comments about me not listening to morning report because I would've heard everything if I didn't have to go get a new worksheet because you spilled coffee all over the one I was working on. Lastly, please don't assume I'm the smartest person in the world just because I have 2 degrees. I can't be. That's impossible because I'M A NEW NURSE!

Lady, it took you 20 years to know everything you know right now. Don't expect me to be at your level. Because I'm not.

Give me 20 years. Maybe then, I'll know as much, if not more, than you.

Or maybe then, I'll be your nurse when you're battling old age and you'll regret that you were too busy going on an ego trip to teach me anything real.

On second thought, I don't want to be at your level if it means being exactly like you. I won't be like you. I choose not to be like you. I choose to be a better nurse. And a better person.

I'll see you tomorrow bright and early.

|

0 Comments

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2009 Musings of a Principessa All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive.